Product Owner, Software
Division / Product Specific Info
As part of the R&D organization, The Global Digital group is committed to bring value-adding and innovative software solutions to our customers that help them with their success. Global Digital covers all software built in the MSD-EM related sites, globally over the world. Main R&D sites can be found in Eindhoven (the Netherlands), Bordeaux (France), Hillsboro (US), Brno (Czech). Responsibilities of the Global Digital group cover the complete software stack, from fpga to embedded and application software.
Get more insights on our High-Tech Transmission Electron Microscope(TEM) domains via these links.
Site Impression MSD Eindhoven https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=mHAOae3AMPc
Impression of SW engineering https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Blzs0foCQqc
The software team consists of ~450 engineers and is focused on the development of automation/application software for Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM). This software offers solutions in support of our life sciences, material sciences and semiconductors customers, by providing dedicated workflows. Examples are automated tomography or single particle acquisition (smart-EPU) and our dedicated semiconductors solution for e.g. automated metrology/ measure critical dimensions on semiconductor devices.
More info about our EPU application can be found here. https://www.thermofisher.com/nl/en/home/electron-microscopy/products/software-em-3d-vis/epu-software.html
How will you make an impact?
We are looking for an enthusiastic Software Product Owner for our applications development team in Eindhoven focusing on our smart-EPU solution.
EPU is our data acquisition solution that supports our single particle analysis workflow offering for our life sciences customers and enables the unattended acquisition of thousands of images (cryo-EM data) that are used to reconstruct 3D structures of macromolecules. Doing on-the-fly data analysis using conventional and AI algorithms we strive to make our solution smarter and therefore easier to use.
What will you do?
As Software Product Owner of our smart-EPU application you will be the PO of one of the agile teams that is part of our Life Sciences Agile Release Train (ART).
This team passionate about crafting a feedback loop towards the acquisition application by integrating on the fly (conventional) imagine processing and AI algorithms (internal and external via our open API) and has a tight connection with our data management solution.
The Software Product Owner is the key link between the software development teams on one hand and the product manager and all stakeholders on the other hand. The role includes carrying out the product vision by building a roadmap together with the product manager that maximizes value for our customers.
You will own the team backlog of the agile teams that focus on the EPU application with specific competence related to the smart-EPU area.
To get clear understanding of the single particle analysis workflow and the role of the EPU data acquisition within that workflow you will have the opportunity to directly interact and visit our customers and work closely together with our internal applications teams and workflow teams to resolve value and priority of new features.
Encouraged qualifications and skills include ability to lead and empower people, encourage collaboration, communicate optimally with senior management, and drive the creation of products in a lean and agile way with our customer and business in mind. You will report to the Software Manager of our Life Sciences
As a Software Product Owner your duties and responsibilities are:
- Understanding of the business and customer needs (vision and strategy) and sharing them with the development team. This included direct communication with our collaborators e.g. on our open API
- Collect, negotiate, define functional and technical requirements
- Maintain a prioritized value-based backlog of epics and user stories aligned with product management and the product roadmap
- Preparation and participation in program increment planning and team and system demos
- Drive iteration planning, review and accept iteration increments
- Enable behavior driven development within scrum teams by detailing stories in terms of value proposition
- Constantly align priorities and progress with product manager and other product owner(s) by participating in PO sync and other ART events
- Constantly align with the ART architect in understanding and prioritizing enabler (technical features) work
- Build trust and visibility by regularly demoing progress and plan
How will you get there?
- Experience working in a technical agile development environment, preferably with experience as Software Product Owner
- High curiosity about understanding our roadmaps and vision and passionate about value delivery
- Multiple years of experience in research and development related roles in the high-tech industry
- High interest and motivation to work in a high tech and scientific domain
- Eager to learn TEM domain specific knowledge and not afraid to validate software on a TEM system yourself
- Proficient in English
When your experience meets the following criteria, this would give you an advantage.
- Experience working with SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework)
- Experience in multi-cultural environments
- Proven experience of TEM or the single particle analysis workflow
- Leadership, decisiveness, and ability to influence your partners (influence without authority)
- Ability to adapt in a cross-disciplinary scrum team in a varied product development environment
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills are required due to the high degree of interaction and collaboration across functional groups and multisite development
- Value orientation, getting to the essence, setting, and acting according to priorities
- Curious, fast learning (mostly on the job)
You are eligible for passport and able to travel in Europe and the US