Director Real World Data Science
At Astellas we offer an inspiring place to work and a chance to make your mark in doing good for others.
Our expertise, science and technology make us a pharma company, our open and progressive culture is what makes us Astellas. It’s a culture of doing good for others and contributing to a sustainable society.
Delivering meaningful differences for patients is our driving force. We all have a significant opportunity to make that difference, working locally in the areas we know best, whilst drawing inspiration from the different insights and expertise we have access to globally and from our innovative, external partners.
Our global vision for Patient Centricity is to support the development of innovative health solutions through a deep understanding of the patient experience. At Astellas, Patient Centricity isn’t a buzzword, it’s a guiding principle for action. We believe all staff have a role to play in creating a patient-centric culture and integrating an awareness of the patient into our everyday working practices, regardless of our role, team, or division.
Our ethos is underpinned by the Astellas Way, comprising five core values: patient focus; ownership; results; openness and integrity.
We are proud to offer an inclusive and respectful working environment that fosters collaboration and ownership. Our aspiration is to bring the best minds together, to provide them with world-leading tools and resources and a unique structure that fosters real agility and entrepreneurial spirit.
About This Job:
As a Director of Real World Data Science (RWDS), you will be an analytic researcher informing and conducting RWD studies at any point in the drug lifecycle. You will work globally and across the product lifecycle to inform strategy and design of observational studies.
Working directly with the RWDS team, you will design and execute observational studies for internal and external consumption and partner closely with Development, Medical Affairs/HEOR, and Pharmacovigilance/Pharmacoepidemiology colleagues in their research.
In addition to the above collaborations, you will work closely with internal RWDS colleagues, Data Science and Biostatistics in order to enhance our RWDS and analytics offerings.
At Astellas we recognise that our employees enjoy having balance between their professional and home lives. We are proud of our hybrid approach which empowers you to have flexibility on whether to work from home or in the office.
Key Activities for this role are noted below:
- Design observational studies (primary and/or secondary data) and execute observational studies (mostly in-house) using RWD, acting as the subject matter expert in specific data access partnerships
- Offer methodological guidance to clients on the integration of data from clinical progress notes, Electronic Health Records (EHRs) and Genomic sequencing
- Support macro programming development for RWD studies and participate in the creation and upkeep of best practice and data standards at Astellas
- Collaborate with RWDS, Data Science and Biostatistics colleagues and cross-functional teams in Development, Medical Affairs/HEOR and Pharmacovigilance / Pharmacoepidemiology to ensure the best outcomes
- Mentor and guide junior members of the RWD Analytics team
Essential Knowledge & Experience:
- Solid pharmaceutical industry experience in both designing observational studies (primary and secondary data) and hands on experience programming/analysing Real World Data, including major EHR and claims databases globally.
- Able to programme and analyse a diverse set of RWD study types (description, association, prediction, causation), including incidence & prevalence, treatment pattern, healthcare resource utilization, cost, outcomes, and effectiveness
- Proficiency in observational research design for primary data collection (i.e., prospective) as well as secondary use of data studies
- Proficiency in SAS or R (working knowledge of Python or SQL would be beneficial) and well-versed in data visualisation, statistical analysis, and machine learning methodologies
- Self Motivated and committed to seeking innovative methodologies to generate data-driven insights coupled with a strategic mindset and the ability to operate independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- A doctorate or master's degree in statistics, data science, pharmacoepidemiology or a similar/equivalent discipline
- This is a permanent full-time position that is primarily based in the UK or NL (other EU4 major markets may be considered subject to approval)
- The position follows our hybrid working model with a blend of home and minimum 1-day per quarter in the office. Flexibility may be required in line with business need. Candidates should be located within a commutable distance of the office
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.