Posted Date: Aug 14 2023
Job Purpose :
The purpose of the job is to undertake the accountability for defining and driving the Netherlands market specific legal support for the ViiV and GSK Netherlands operations in order to enable the appropriate legal risk identification and mitigation in relation to business activity in Netherlands as well as related internal and external interactions needed.
All this would contribute to implementation of the Legal Strategy developed and owned by Legal Director Northern and Western Europe. The Dutch external legal environment is complex and in several areas relevant to ViiV/GSK highly differentiated from comparable EU countries. Legislative and regulatory environment is often more restrictive than typically in other EU countries. While this is the case for general business activity it is even more true for pharma business which is significantly more strictly regulated by law in the Netherlands. This level of complexity and instability requires sound internal legal support in order to identify and mitigate risk for GSK.
In addition, this context further justifies the added value of a dedicated lawyer able to leverage on its local expertise and its deep understanding of the business.
- Counsel the business (all local operating companies and above-country teams) on legal, policy, compliance and transactional issues, integrating legal knowledge with a sound business understanding
- Draft, develop, prepare and execute contracts and other legal documents of legal/strategic/financial/regulatory importance.
- Review business, scientific, commercial, and sales/marketing documents/communications and advise on appropriate strategy/language to manage legal risk while maximizing business benefit.
- Anticipate and proactively support the management of legal risks facing the pharmaceutical business in Netherlands.
- Recommend policies and practices on issues presenting potential legal risk arising from pharmaceutical healthcare activities, and support their development and implementation.
- Review and interpret pending or new legislation or regulatory rules impacting the pharmaceutical business and advise the business management on appropriate compliance measures.
- Liaise with other groups within the GSK Legal organisation (such as other lawyers in the Europe Commercial Legal Operations team and lawyers in other parts of GSK Legal Function and other departments (e.g. Compliance, Corporate Risk and Insurance Management, Tax, Finance, Procurement etc.) in coordinating advice that integrates the full range of considerations.
- Educate client groups within the pharmaceutical healthcare business on legal issues and new developments impacting the businesses.
- Appropriately identify matters and topics to escalate to Legal Director Northern & Western Europe and liaise appropriately
- Liaise with external law firms on appropriate matters under oversight of Legal Director Legal Director Northern & Western Europe
- University Degree in Law and Dutch Bar of Legal Advisors/Advocates admission
- Civil law, competition law, tender/procurement law, administrative law, pharmaceutical law
- Fluency in Dutch and English
- Minimum 6 years legal practice as in-house counsel or external law firm in legal advice to business undertakings
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change. Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
*This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organization where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to positively impact the health of 2.5 billion people by the end of 2030.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.