Application Engineer, Cryo-EM
Application Engineer, Cryo-EM
This role is based at our breathtaking site in Eindhoven, The Netherlands and belongs to the Architecture and Validation Department within Research and Development organization for Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM). The immediate team consists of 10 people committed to develop and validate innovative technologies for Cryo-EM and Tomography workflows for our Life Science customers. We are seeking for a highly motivated Engineer who is driven by method/new product development and keen to bring new products to the market.
What will you do? And how will you make an impact?
As Application Engineer you will belong to a collaborative team and will focus on the application aspects of product development for Cryo-EM. Cryo-EM workflow is a multi-step process that involves multiple interconnected hardware and software systems to prepare and qualify samples, recording vast amounts of data and images, and processing the collected data into meaningful information, e.g. where the drug is bound to the target. The focus of this position is on understanding the end-user issues, use cases, future needs on sample preparation; then translating them in product requirements and / or functions; then verifying that the solutions are indeed fulfilling the insights.
You will work closely with application development engineers, architects, project managers within R&D, and colleagues outside R&D such as sourcing, operations, and service and report directly to the group lead within the Architecture and Validation department in R&D.
Check out these video’s to get more insight in what it means to work on our complex High-Tech Transmission Electron Microscopes. These high-end tools are being developed, market and manufactured in our cleanrooms in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- You guide architects and designers on the workflow aspects of the modules, systems and software by validating that the design is according to the requirements.
- You write test plans, design functional and non-functional test cases, carry out and/or coordinate the execution of these test cases, report issues, and write test reports with recommendations.
- You participate in the creation of (interactive) user guides, documentation and training materials, and verify the completeness and correctness thereof. You support rollout of new products at launching.
- Guide and support internal and external engineers with solving issues and answering questions in your area of expertise.
- You promote the adoption of workflow aspects throughout all layers of the R&D department.
Requirements and Competencies
- Typically requires a University Degree or equivalent in Physics, Chemistry, Bioengineering or Life Science.
- Hands-on experience with Cryo-EM methods and protocols.
- Mentality of continuous improvement of the Cryo-EM workflow.
- Experience with statistical tools.
- Interest to learn new technologies.
- Strong communication and pro-activeness.
- It is very desirable that the candidate has knowledge in at least one of the areas:
o protein purification and biochemical/biophysical characterization
o surface treatment
o optical detection
o fluid handling cryo components
We offer an exciting and diverse role in a multinational and highly innovative R&D environment and participation in intellectually stimulating projects at cross-border of system engineering, design and (bio)chemistry. The role is within the team at the forefront technology with opportunities to interact with customers in academia and pharmaceutical industry. We will offer training in operating electron microscopes and making cryo-EM specimens.
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Watch as our colleagues explain 5 reasons to work with us . As one team of 130,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement - working together to accelerate research, solve complex scientific challenges, drive technological innovation and support patients in need. #StartYourStory at Thermo Fisher Scientific , where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued.
Does this sound like something you are interested in?
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Applications will be reviewed constantly and the position will be filled once we find the suitable team member.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.