Application Scientist, Life Science Cryo-TEM
The EMEA NanoPort team, within the Sales and Service Division (SSD), runs an Electron Microscopy Centre of Excellence, supporting account managers and external Thermo Fisher Scientific customers in the Sciences and Industry markets. Key goals of the NanoPort team are to deliver high-quality Customer Applications Training and Support, to conduct carefully prepared Product and Workflow Demonstrations, to contribute to new hardware and software Product Introductions, and to generate Marketing Collateral and contributions to high-profile Workshops and Conferences. For more information please visit:
Eindhoven Electron Microscopes https://www.thermofisher.com/nl/en/home/electron-microscopy/nanoports/eindhoven-nanoport.html.
How will you make an impact?
Building on a proven scientific foundation combined with a strong commercial interest, being self-supportive and a great networker with excellent interpersonal skills, the Cryo-TEM Application Scientist works closely with top specialists at leading research institutes and new technology adopters in academia and industry, ensuring that our customers are successful in acquiring optimal results from their microscopes! This role is part of a team of highly skilled Life Science Application Specialists and requires readiness to travel within the EMEA region.
The Application Scientist serves as an ambassador for Thermo Scientific at the customer location and provides the customer with an efficient inroad into Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Specific tasks associated with this opportunity include:
- Conduct customer training and translate customer needs into workable solutions, allowing users to obtain the best possible results from their instruments in the shortest possible time;
- Perform product and workflow demonstrations, sample analysis, and data processing, based on a solid understanding of our customers’ application needs and to support sales opportunities;
- Provide application support for new product developments, contributions to manuals and application notes, experimental research to advance applications knowledge, presentations at workshops and conferences and scientific publications;
- Facilitate microscope acceptance in the production facility and support to installation and acceptance at customer sites;
- Provide feedback and input to R&D and Product Management by testing and evaluating new products, software and accessories.
How will you get there?
The candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- An advanced degree (MSc, PhD) in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Structural Biology or equivalent, demonstrating strong expertise in microscopy application areas such as sample preparation, cryo-EM data collection and data processing;
- Requires demonstrated ability in electron-microscopy in an advanced research (academia or industry) environment with a strong hands-on focus on cryo-Transmission Electron Microscopy;
- Strong background in Single Particle and/or Tomography data processing; Knowledge in Microcrystal Electron Diffraction or X-ray crystallography data processing is a plus;
- Proven ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously, self-motivated and with a proactive drive for execution;
- Confident, determined, and passionate to work with people;
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team;
- Strong communication skills and proficiency in English; language skills in German, French or Italian are a plus;
- Willingness to frequently travel within the EMEA region (up to 50%).
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Watch as our colleagues explain 5 reasons to work with us. As one team of 100,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement - working together to accelerate research, solve complex scientific challenges, drive technological innovation and support patients in need. #StartYourStory at Thermo Fisher Scientific, where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued!