Scientist III, Research & Development
We have an exciting new job opening for an AI Scientist Materials Science. We are looking for a creative candidate who thrives on curiosity and learning, who has a passion to innovate, and enjoys a challenge. If you are that kind of scientist: Consider joining our team of thinkers and doers to drive innovation at the intersection of discovery and action!
The open position is in our Eindhoven based Applications team, part of the Data and AI group (D&AI) at Thermo Fisher Scientific. This international team of experts focuses on AI and Data science research to develop impactful new product features for Electron Microscopy workflows. This team delivers customer solutions in the domains of: Semiconductor development; Life Sciences/Biology research; and Materials science.
You would become be our main AI scientist with a focus area on Material Science and Physics topics. The rapid evolution of the AI ecosystem, each day brings unique opportunities to improve our customer workflows. Think for example about the rapid evolving domain of Battery research where analytical imaging on exotic beam-sensitive materials drives the understanding of chemical processes taking place in next-generation batteries. The combination of our TEM system with sophisticated AI and Machine Learning techniques can improve ease of use for our customers to setup and automate experiments. In addition, these techniques can enhance our analysis techniques to perform more effective data and information extraction.
- Lead innovations that support Materials Science that use Large Language Models, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, and Deep Learning.
- Connect the physics-based understanding of Materials Science with experimental observations by our analytical analysis techniques such as EELS and EDX.
- Drive the development of our AI solutions on diffraction analysis and processing for STEM workflows.
- Collaborate closely with the software teams across Thermo Fisher Scientific to define and integrate next generation AI methods into our customers products.
- Collaborate with Scientists and Software Engineers to build products, generate publications, and patents.
- Drive teamwork with external university group or key opinion leaders to progress co-development of new Electron Microscopy techniques.
We require a hands-on researcher with excellent analytical skills and an intrinsic drive to overcome obstacles. You will need to be able to work closely with a diverse team to deliver high-quality, maintainable solutions in a multifaceted environment.
- Preferably a Ph.D. in Physics, Material Science, Chemistry, or related areas or Candidates with master’s degree with relevant years of relevant industry experience.
- Proven experience in deep learning and its different toolkits particularly Pytorch or Tensorflow.
- Experience with applied machine learning research, with a focus on generative models such as GANs, VAEs, autoregressive models, and diffusion models.
- Ability to perform TEM and/or STEM analysis techniques for material analysis or other domains.
- Demonstrable experience with participating in top-tier research teams in high-stakes academic or industrial research environments.
- Able to work with ML-Ops pipelines and GIT to structure and share your experiments in a research and development setup.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications:
Being a highly collaborative and adaptable researcher with great interpersonal skills, integrating well into multidisciplinary teams.
- Able to build connections with both internal colleagues and external stakeholders.
- The ability to communicate effectively and build meaningful relationships that improve project outcomes and promotes collaboration.
In addition to a competitive compensation package, we offer the environment to perform research in a well-supported industry setting. You get access to the latest Electron Microscopes end methods. You are surrounded and supported by an AI team with a broad set of backgrounds such as Computer science, Physics, Math, Biology, and semiconductor technology. In our labs we deployed a professional machine learning infrastructure to ensure that you have the resources to run demanding AI workloads. Together we will build the future of advanced experimental techniques that will be used all over the world to drive science and technology!
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Watch as our colleagues explain 5 reasons to work with us . As one team of 130,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement - working together to accelerate research, solve complex scientific challenges, drive technological innovation and support patients in need. #StartYourStory at Thermo Fisher Scientific , where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued.
Does this sound like something you are interested in?
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com